Outfit of the Day: Japanese Shibori

  Ahhhhh SHIBORI! My love affair with Shibori (pronounced "SHI bor ee")-let alone the color blue in gen...

 

Ahhhhh SHIBORI! My love affair with Shibori (pronounced "SHI bor ee")-let alone the color blue in general-is something for the ages.

I have long appreciated the great art of this ancient Japanese craft of dyeing with indigo. However, since its popularity has picked up many stores are now offering bastardized versions of this unique technique that, quite frankly, look like summer camp tie die to me. I'm not a huge fan. Therefore, whenever I come across something that either was or looks handcrafted and varying in pattern organically I just throw my money at the cashier and run.

This dress is a summer favorite of mine for the myriad indigo hues and patterns as well as the light, breezy material perfect for the hottest months. It was recently in the 100s here and I couldn't be bothered to wear much of anything. However, this is just the sort of thing to do the trick. Plus, maxis mean you don't have to shave...I know you all are with me on that! ;)

How to Style: 
While this is a Japanese dye technique it doesn't need to be literally interpreted as Japanese style. I chose a rope belt and necklace to create a beachy, summer esthetic. You can incorporate other shibori prints too (see how else I styled my pictured bag HERE )-just be sure to select prints with varying sizes and designs so they don't get lost in each other. Indigo blues are perfect for contrasting against warm or bright tones such as browns, tans, reds, pinks, or oranges. This was a very neutral coastal look, but next time I will pair it with a red straw purse and tie up sandals, to play of the colors. Have fun with it!

Get the Look: 

Dress: Anthropologie (Similar 1) (Similar 2) (Similar 3) (Similar 4) // Bag: Kestral // Shoes: Anthropologie (Similar 1) (Similar 2) // Necklace: DIY (Similar 1) (Similar 2) // Belt: DIY (Similar 1) (Similar 2)


Have you bought into this Shirbori trend? 
Do you think it's more than a trend (considering it is centuries old)? 
Would you be interested in seeing DIY tutorial on the blog of how to do your own resistance dying? 

*This outfit was shot in San Jose's Downtown Japantown

You Know You Want to Keep Reading...

1 Comments

  1. wow, nice dress! Love the blue.
    https://goo.gl/oRGrwf

    ReplyDelete