Outfit of the Day: Pier 66

California continues to refuse to admit defeat and concede to fall or winter. In the meantime, I am rocking my summer clothes just a little...

California continues to refuse to admit defeat and concede to fall or winter. In the meantime, I am rocking my summer clothes just a little longer, pretending I don't desperately miss fall weather and being able to wear layers. As a quiet protest, I am layering my summer clothes in an attempt to remind myself of east coast crisp mornings and having to bundle up. I feel so betrayed. BETRAYED I TELL YOU.

In all seriousness, layering and accessorizing are great ways to make an outfit your own and assert your sense of style. In this outfit of the day I started with a simple white a-line dress as my base. Sort of boring on it's own and a little too dressy for what I was going for. Don't be afraid to layer unexpected items over pieces you wouldn't have though to put together. I layered a casual chambray shirt and tied it at my waist to bring the dress down to the more "nautical" and casual tones I was going for. I topped the look with a silk scarf and linen heels. A little fancy, but I really liked the way these echoed my nautical theme and how the myriad textures added depth and said something about my personal style. 

Lipstick: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in "San Juan"
Dress: Kensie Sleeveless Crew-Neck Flared Dress (Sold Out); Similar - Kensie Textured Lace-Detail Fit & Flare Dress
Shirt: Thriftstore; Similar - Chambray Sleeveless Button-Up Shirt from Saks Off 5th
Scarf: Hermes Vintage; Similar - Emilio Pucci Print Scarf  or Ralph Lauren Striped Print Scarf
Bracelet: Vintage; Similar - The Ra Hammered Chain Bracelet from House of Harlow 1960 
Shoes: "Farylrobin Fela Heels" by Faryl Rob from Anthropologie (Sold Out); Similar - Lien.Do by Seychelles Pachuca Pumps from Anthropologie; Aileen Linen Slingback Wedges from Ann Taylor

What is one of your favorite ways to "make an look your own"?
Have you ever tried layering? What were your results?
What is your favorite season to dress for? 
Are you ever sad when it's supposed to be fall/winter and it's hot out? 
Do you ever secretly (or not) theme your outfits like I did with a subtle nautical theme? 

You Know You Want to Keep Reading...

0 Comments