Nob Hill's Masonic Center: Things to Do in the Area

               The Event:  We recently had the great pleasure of seeing one of my favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan, at Nob Hill...


           



The Event: 
We recently had the great pleasure of seeing one of my favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan, at Nob Hill's Masonic Center in San Francisco. The "Fully Dressed" show was so much fun. I laughed and smiled so much that halfway through the show my cheeks hurt and my mouth was dry from smiling and laughing so hard (#happypeopleproblems). Check out his tour dates HERE if you'd like to try to catch one of his shows.

We went up to the city early and found free street parking a few blocks away. Since arriving early we lazily enjoyed listening to the fountains while people (and puppy) watching at Huntington Park across from Grace Cathedral before going to the Fairmont's Laurel Court Bar for quick cocktails prior to the show.

Where to Go: 
Check out these things to do directly in the area before or after going to a show in Nob Hill.

Nob Hill Masonic Center
1111 California St,
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 776-7457
sfmasonic.com

Huntington Park
Fountains, grassy areas, park benches, and a children's fenced in play yard. This park is perfect to sit and enjoy people watching or just relaxing while listening to the fountains with a book or picnic. 
At the corner of California St & Taylor St, (across from Grace Cathedral and diagonal to the Masonic Center)
San Francisco, CA 94108

Grace Cathedral
Take a tour and visit Grace Cathedral. An all inclusive church with absolutely stunning Gothic Revival and French Gothic architectures. 
1100 California St,
San Francisco, CA 94108
www.gracecathedral.org

Laurel Court Bar & Lounge 
Grab dinner or a cocktail inside the Fairmont Hotel San Francisco and see where they serve "high tea." Tip: Sit at the bar if you're going directly to a show afterwards, to ensure you have prompt service so you're not rushing to close out to make it on time.  
950 Mason Street,
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 772-5260
Dress Code: Smart Casual

Top of the Mark - The InterContinental Mark Hopkins
Take in the 360 view from above in the penthouse lounge while sipping artisan cocktails. Since opening in 1939 it's been a popular spot to enjoy tapas, cocktails, and listening or dancing to live bands and jazz music.
999 California St,
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 392-3434

Thai Thai Noodle 
Offers delicious noodle bowls and unbeatable Thai cuisine in Nob Hill. 
1400 California St,
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 441-5551
www.thaithainoodlesf.com

The Big 4
"Classic American dishes served in a clubby space with dark wood, white tablecloths & piano music." Named after the reputed “Big Four” industrialists – Collis P. Huntington, Charles Crocker, Leland Stanford and Mark Hopkins-the businessmen and philanthropists who built the Central Pacific Railroad. It's a very elegant restaurant that harks back to the grandeur of victorian San Francisco. 
(Located inside the Scarlet Huntington)
1075 California St,
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 771-1140
www.big4restaurant.com

Nob Hill Cafe 
"This relaxed cafe serves Tuscan pastas & pizzas in a quaint space that recalls old San Francisco."
1152 Taylor St,
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 776-6500
www.nobhillcafe.com

Have you ever been to see a show at the Masonic Center? 
What are some of the things you did in the area before or after the show? 
Would you like to try any of these options? 
Are you more of a dinner or cocktail hour person before seeing a show? 
Do you like having other options outside of food/drinks like the park and cathedral? 
What is your favorite kind of show to see live (comedians/music/dance, etc)? 
Do you have a favorite comedian? 

You Know You Want to Keep Reading...

13 Comments

  1. Visited San Francisco this year and went to Nob Hill, We enjoyed seeing the sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! It's such a beautiful neighborhood. And once I learned the history I was really intrigued. It was the heart of where all the most influential men in San Francisco lived and ran the city from. What sites did you like most when you visited?

      Delete
  2. This is pretty cool, great detailed list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it helps you if you ever visit.

      Delete
  3. Nob Hill Cafe is one of my favorites in that area! I haven't been in years (especially since I'm in the SB now) so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Dana! I hope you can have a chance to visit again sooner than later.
      I'm actually planning a trip to Santa Barbara in the next few months. Do you have any recommendations?

      Delete
  4. I'm more of a dinner person than cocktail hour person because I can never wait! I prefer music or dance shows to comedy only because comedy isn't something I'm good at keeping up with and it can be hit or miss. However, if I knew that every comedy show would be amazing, that would be my FIRST choice always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I love to laugh and I am not an especially funny person (at least not in a comedian way) so I really admire and appreciate a comedian when he is really good at his craft. Jim Gaffigan is one that I almost always get tears in my eyes from laughing so hard (My favorite bit is when he talks about taking his kids to Disney).
      I feel you about the food! I am such a little piggy that I have been doing cocktail hour with a drink and light food before shows and then dinner afterward. Haha.

      Delete
  5. I have wanted to check out the new Masonic theater! Plus seeing Jim Gaffigan would be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really beautiful venue! You should absolutely go if an artist or show you really like will be there soon. You can get there earlier in the day and make a SF day trip out of it and explore the area before the show.
      Also, if you don't feel like driving home after a show you can always stay in one of the hotels on the block. The Mark Hopkins is regularly surprisingly reasonable and in the off seasons it's extremely doable/fair...sometimes even dirt cheap!

      Delete
  6. I work for a travel company and would love to discuss reposting your blog if you are interested? michelle.turner@touricoholidays.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Absolutely I am. I'll email you shortly.

      Delete
  7. I love Jim Gaffigan! Have you read his new book, Food: a Love Story? I love it! I recommend the audio book since he reads his own book. Haven't read Dad is Fat, though.

    ReplyDelete