Outfit of the Day: Slip Dress Trend

So there are more than a few trend trains that I haven't been jumping aboard this year (some being sleepwear as daywear inspire...



So there are more than a few trend trains that I haven't been jumping aboard this year (some being sleepwear as daywear inspired fashion, David Bowie boots, Gucci's furry mules, non/ironic logo t-shirts, or the lace up everything trend...). One I wasn't immediately in love with was the slip trend. That is, until now.






Originally the slip dress trend reminded me of my earlier attempts at fashion in 90s (those pictures didn't survive the move shockingly. Aww, darn!). A little too "lingerie inspired" from my memory. Trends can be hard enough to pull off sometimes. Trying to pull off a daytime look that is already inspired by lingerie is just down right difficult if not impossible. Rather than pursue #TBT with the overly sexual slip dress trend of the 90's I decided to go with a modern cut silk dress. This already gives it several degrees of separation from the bedroom.

If I were to wear this look for evening I would dress it up with nude heels, choker, and clutch bag (very a la Kardashian). The modern daywear slip dress is meant to be fun and casual. Pair yours with sneakers or mules to keep it grounded as an "on the go" look. To even further the comfort layer yours with t-shirts or over skinny jeans or leggings. I was using this outfit to transition from day to night so I wore it with casual wedged mules and minimal jewelry to marry the two elements of slinky and casual.

You'll be seeing me try several looks with this dress over the next few months as I transition it from summer to fall. For now though, you can consider me jumping on the caboose of the slip dress train at the very least.

Get the Look: 

Dress: Lou & Grey Luster Wrap Dress $89.50 (RIGHT now it's on sale for $54.99 plus an additional 40% off!)
Shoes: Kenneth Cole Reaction White Edge Fun Leather Wedge Mule (Sold Out; See Similar Here)
Rings: Madewell mon petit pavé ring $15 and mon petit curved pavé ring $15 (on sale right now for $10.50)
Purse: Bay Area flea market find (Similar $25 Target Blush Crossbody Bag Here) 

Would you wear a slip dress? What fashion trends you are loving right now? Are there any you are either completely over or were never into in the first place? Any trend forecasting??? Please share! I'd love to hear. 

You Know You Want to Keep Reading...

10 Comments

  1. Lovely dress. It looks very comfortable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is perfect for those hot summer days but also great to transition to fall with layers. The color makes it work for both seasons!

      Delete
  2. The dress looks comfortable, but I wouldn't be comfortable wearing it outside my house. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was comfortable. Not all trends are for everyone, but if you ever felt like trying it but want more coverage try layering it over jeans, leggings, or a t-shirt. It's a great way to pull it off but keep it casual while showing less skin. Make it work for you! But again, it's not for everyone and that is A-OKAY! :D

      Delete
  3. I like the dress, especially the color! However, as a broke college kid, I'm not crazy about the price lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, you have to go with your budget! It's on sale for $33 right now (don't know if that helps or is low enough. I know it can be tight when you have to balance gas, books, tuition, and groceries).
      I also found other budget friendly slip dresses for you. A $19 one from ASOS, a $16.90 from Chloies, and a $15 one from SheIn. They aren't exactly like this one or the same color, but can work with the trend!

      Hope this helps!

      SheIn $15: http://us.shein.com/Army-Green-Spaghetti-Strap-Dropped-Hem-Slit-dress-p-291346-cat-1727.html

      Chloies $16.90: http://www.choies.com/product/light-pink-plunge-choker-tie-satin-cami-strap-slip-dress_p67993?utm_source=polyvore&utm_medium=cpc&trackid=skinnyjeansABC123&keyword=Dresses

      ASOS $19: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Halter-Strappy-Back-Maxi-Dress/19l3oo/?iid=6297203&clr=Nude&SearchQuery=slip+dress&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=111&gridsize=3&gridrow=5&gridcolumn=2&mporgp=L2Fzb3MvYXNvcy1oYWx0ZXItc3RyYXBweS1iYWNrLW1heGktZHJlc3MvcHJvZC8.

      Delete
  4. Okay I love the entire outfit. 1, especially the dress colour, and 2 - those SHOES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Nancy! :D I totally agree about the color. That was a huge part of what attracted me to it. The shoes are super comfy too!

      Delete
  5. Love the Romanesque design of this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Good eye, I definitely see that.

      Delete